All about BMW: BMW DIY, BMW series, BMW photos, BMW reviews...

Engine Painting (How-To) on BMW e34

Supplies

For this project I used the following; High temp paint (available at Kragen/Pep Boy), Masking tape, Steel Wool grade #00000, Sand Paper (in various grades from 2000 wet/dry to 300), one Sponge Sandpaper Grade 300 /400 (essentially sandpaper hotglued to a sponge to get in corners and curves, available at any Home Depot), the wrenches from the back of your tool kit, a Vacuum Cleaner, and also a Dremel rotor tool.

Notice

Notice, I did not use sand blasting equipment for this project, and I did not fully remove the valve cover. Because of that fact I only did the front visible portion, however, I have never regretted this, and no one has ever noticed.

Steps I started out by masking off the area and laying news paper around the area I was working on to catch any paint chips or grit from the sand paper, or dust. I removed the Ignition Coil Cover, and masked off the area with blue masking tape.

Then I began to work. I wish I has started with something more violent in terms of sand paper, I think I started out with a 600, and it really did nothing. Start out with a low number sand paper to really just tear apart the surface. You do not get any extra brownie points for making it look shinny before all the paint is fully off. (Note: this takes a lot of time and energy, it took me about two weeks working for about 30 minutes a day).

Occasionally I used the Dremel motor tool, but not that frequently. The Dremel proved to nick and scar the surface too easily, and I am pretty skilled in using it, and it still proved difficult.

Basically it came down to sanding… Lots and lots of sanding, and with sanding you have dust particles, and paint that are produced, so break out the vacuum often.

Once you start to see silver metal, go to another area until you see more silver metal, and so on. Once you can see metal across the whole part you are working on it is time to go and start working in the finer grades of sand paper. At this point remove the bolts holding the front of the cover down so you can work around them, and sand down all that metal too.

As you work you will want to occasionally use the 2000 grit to polish, and if you are really spiff the steel wool. The steel wool will almost get a reflective shine off the Valve Cover. Once you achieve this is achieved you should have almost a perfect mirror finish across the surface. You are just about done.

(do not get water on the surface. It will discolor the metal, and you do not want to have any moisture on your engine when you paint over it).

Painting

I bought two spray paints, both 500 Hi-Temp Paint. One was a gray primer, the other a flat black.

I fully covered the engine with news paper; don’t want a misguided burst pf paint to go a wondering in the engine bay. (Mind you, I did this entire project outside where whether had to be taken into effect).

I slowly sprayed from about two feet a stream at the part. I started spraying about six inches to the left, and then moved to the right past the part six inches, where I stopped spraying. You never want to stop and start spraying directly at the part; it will leave a large circle there. I was currently just setting down a primer or a tack layer to give the final layer some hold. I never set down a heavy thick layer on my first pass, usually just a light mist. I use many many layers and passes of light mist to slowly build up a solid layer that looks like one layer. I let each layer dry a little bit before I start the next one.

Once that is all done with the primer I let it sit for an hour… I baked cookies…

Then I cam back to it and looked at the primer, it anything looked out of place I would have to wet dry sand paper it smooth, but thankfully everything looked great.

I started out with my final paint color the flat black. Once again lightly misting it and building up the layers. Don’t rush it, take your time. It will pay off in the long run.

From there I went and I let it sit a long time, I did not want to touch it, even though it said it only takes 15 minutes to cure.

After a couple hours I slowly removed the news paper.

I did not drive it for a full 48 hours, and when I finally had to close the hood, I closed it very carefully.

Truth be told, I touched the paint a couple minutes after I was done and it was dry.

I also painted the bolts that go onto the front of the Valve Cover.

Once everything was done and it had its time to sit, I put the bolts back on. Then I put the Ignition Coil Cover back on. Job done, just don’t take it up to 125mph on the first time out.

Sand until it looks like this.

And this is how it should look when it is masked off and ready to paint.

Supplies

Gray Primer done. After many many light coats to build up one solid coat.

Black coat done. Once again after many many light mist coats.

News paper removed.

Ignition Coil Cover back on.

Project Complete!